Tuesday, February 5, 2008

She Said

Dan and I worked together over 10 years ago. I still remember when he first started working at the company. He was so cute and I told my sister Anne (who also worked with us) that a babe had started working there and she needed to find out all she could. He was so my type physically. Tall, handsome, built like a football player and had a great smile!! He was also incredibly smart which I find very attractive. Coincidentally, Anne and Dan ended up working in the same group which gave Anne lots of opportunity to do critical espionage work for me. Was Dan single? How old? Would Dan be interested in dating someone from work? Would Dan be interested in dating me? Anne did such a great job. She went all out. She found out he was 20 and single. I am a few years older than Dan and today this age difference feels like nothing but, back then it felt like a really big deal to me.

Anne and I went to Dan's 21st birthday party at the Old Pro in Palo Alto. I will never forget that night because Dan laid the biggest kiss on me i've ever had to this day. It was surprising and incredible. We went out just a few more times and then I did the typical girl freak out thing. I emailed Dan and told him he needed to come to my cube because we needed to "talk" and I proceeded to tell him that we couldn't see each other anymore because my gut was telling me we weren't right for each other!

Fast forward 9 years. St. Patrick's Day. My best friend Kathy is in town and we're driving with Anne through Palo Alto. We pass the Old Pro and I'm immediately reminded of Dan's 21st birthday and that kiss he laid on me. Anne turns to me and says remember that place? Of course I did. I tell my friend Kathy the whole story and mention if I had a chance to date him again I would not mess that up!

The very next wednesday I'm at work. I work with a lot of the same people Dan and I used to work with. I leave my desk to go pick up something at the printer. I look up and who is standing there? Dan! I couldn't believe it. I had just spoken of him that past weekend and I hadn't mentioned him or thought of him in years. Too weird. He looked exactly the same to me. Exactly. I was still so incredibly attracted to him. We talked briefly. He was in talking with a friend of ours. I had a meeting to run to but, we hugged. It was so great to see him. I immediately told anne she wasn't going to believe who was in my office. When I told her Dan was there she said oh my gosh this is fate. I don't know if I thought it was fate at this point but, I knew I wanted to see him again. So I asked our friend for his email and I emailed him that day. I wasn't going to waste any time. My gut was completely on board this time.

We met for dinner. When he walked in the door my heart skipped a beat. At this point I didn't know his relationship status but, I was pretty certain that he had a girlfriend. When I asked my friend for his email he sent me a copy of the emails that he and Dan had exchanged. In one of them a girlfriend was mentioned. When I told Anne this she said he's not married he's fair game! ha ha!

We had a great dinner and went down the street for a cup of tea. When we were inside that coffee shop he mentioned that he was single. I couldn't believe it! My heart soared! I played it cool though and I couldn't wait to tell Anne that he was single!!! He walked me to my car. I was floating on air as I watched him walk away and I dialed Anne's number.

My heart still skips a beat every time Dan walks through the door or opens mine...

No comments: